Monday, February 20, 2012

ViolinNOTrunning....and then 17

This weekend was what I call a "crazy concert weekend".  Full of lots of driving to Durango, Colorado and back, lots of rehearsals and lots of practicing to touch up rough spots.  I had a rehearsal Friday, then two on Saturday and then a rehearsal and concert on Sunday.  Here is a photo from the concert:
I am the one with the dark hair in between the conductor and the cello soloist.

Because of all the crazy concert stuff, I had to postpone my long run until Monday morning.  I got to bed early last night and planned to get up at 7 and out the door around 7:30.  As planned, I got up, got dressed, downed some cereal.  Then I checked the weather to make sure I was dressed properly.  Hmmm...22 degrees.  20mph wind.....so weather channel says "feels like 8F".  Ugh.  Ah well.  I think to myself that I could wait until later but the wind was supposed to stay strong all day.  So, I headed out.  I had planned to go my usual "long run" route and add on a new little loop at the turnaround point to make it a 17 miler.  As planned, I pounded through.  Had some Sharkies gummies part way through, and some nice orange Gatorade to wash them down.  The gummies were pretty much frozen so it took me a mile to get them all down.  At around mile 9, my hands were so cold....my gloves just weren't cutting it in this crazy wind.  I thought "Ah, well...I'm already halfway so now I just have to run home".   It wasn't so bad. My pace was nice but my heartrate was a little high (probably from the cold).  17 miles.....done in 2 hours and 30 minutes....that's an 8:48 per mile average.  Whew! 

3 comments:

  1. 17 insanely cold miles batman!!!!
    I bet those sharkies were tough - they're crazy chewy even when warm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! You're amazing! I got up at 6:45 and did 6 miles according to my schedule. I love staying posted on your running! Totally inspiring! ---Kathryn

    ReplyDelete