Sunday, February 12, 2012

Running for Sherry in the Snow

The run for Sherry Arnold was Saturday, but that was supposed to be my rest day. I thought I'd go for a shortie just in her honor, but then I decided it'd be ok to be a day late and do a long run as programmed in honor of her.  It's a good thing I made Sunday that day....to run for someone else.

I woke up early....leaving the hubby in bed on Sunday morning (Sunday IS my sleep-in day so this was hard to do).  I put on the running gear, quick bowl of cereal and was out the door by 7:05.  The wind was pretty strong and there was a 50% chance of snow....being New Mexico I figured that was more like a 5% chance.  Well, 15 was on the program for today....I thought of going back inside to bed...out of the wind and cold.  I looked down to sync up the Garmin and saw the running bib for Sherry attached to my hydration belt.  I had to go.

Mile 1....lots of trash.
Mile 2.....12 snowflakes...I counted them.
Mile 3.....the hill I always hate....it's steap and dirt (no sidewalk)
Mile 4.....lots more snow....WAY too many flakes to count
Mile 5....now it's a blizzard and really windy...my black fleece is now white
Mile 6....my eyelashes are totally snowy and icy...eyebrows too....my face is wet and cold
This is crazy. I should turn around and go home....but if I run another mile and a half and then turn around, I will have my 15 for Sherry.  Keep going.
I do.
After the turn around, I was just past mile 8 and close to Wordquota's house. I really needed a waterproof jacket.  I was soaked.  Not cold....but I dreaded as the snow continued that the wet would penetrate and make me cold. I called Wordquota.  She was home and would me outside with a jacket.  My HERO for the day!  The best part was her cheering for me as I ran down the street covered in snow as she approached with a jacket for me.  I traded her the fleece for the jacket (I will see her tomorrow at her daughter's violin lesson).  I can finish this 15.
Mile 9....I look at Garmin and he tells me that I am going 8:17 for this mile.....wow.....that's crusin for a long run.
Mile 10-13 More snow....snow on the sidewalks, snow on the roads. My feet are now soaked. I am soaked. My hair, my socks, my legs, my poor cold face.
I thought of Sherry Arnold. I thought of her family and how she is missed by them and all her students....and her community.

I finished the run strong, with 20 minutes of moderate.  My shoes gushed with water.  My socks squishing inside.  The running bib I had printed was soggy and barely attached as I stepped onto the front porch.  I had finished.  Fifteen for Sherry Arnold.

1 comment:

  1. OH MY!!! That is dedication.. good for you! I would have been so miserable! But what a great thing you did for Sherry. I always love runs that are for someone else. It makes it much more easy to finish instead of just quitting. YOu are awesome! keep it up!
    PS... I love how we have both found something else that we can cheer eachother on at! I sure have missed our swims together, but feel like this has brought that commarderie back! Love ya T!

    ReplyDelete