Sunday, January 6, 2013

2 weeks til Rock n Roll

Monday 5.5 miles easy
Tuesday 8.5 miles (speedwork: 4x1.5miles @ 7:28 pace)
Thursday 11 miles (10 miles @ marathon pace 7:38s)
Friday 5 miles easy
Saturday 10 miles easy
Sunday 10 miles easy

This week has proven fruitful.  The nasty headcold is finally subsiding although the snot-rockets have been non-stop on all runs....but at least I'm back to feeling about 90%.

Thursday was the Run Of The Week.  I woke up fully aware that I only had 2 Tempo runs left before the marathon (Jan 20).  I always feel pressure near the end of training to make sure that I push as much as I can through these last few quality workouts to ensure that I am MENTALLY and PHYSICALLY ready for race day.  I set out on the regular river route (it was a whopping 14 degrees outside even though I had waited until 10:30am to run).  One mile warm-up, then the pacework began.  (7:38 is the goal pace).
7:37
7:42
7:41
7:32
7:37
7:38
As mile 7 began, I realized I had a blind flash-spot in my vision....this is a pre-cursor symptom of a migraine for me (I have only had 4 or 5 in my life but they always start with this weird vision thing).  I can't see in my focal point...it's like I have just looked at a camera flash that is in a crescent moon shape.  I couldn't see where I was stepping...over ice, over snow.  I couldn't make out people's faces as I ran past them. It then progresses to weird tunnel vision.
7:23
I speed up worried I'm not going to make it home. I'm also confused about what to do. "Just get home."
7:28
Do I stop?  It's so cold (still less than 20 degrees out with 8mph wind so it feels like about 10 degrees). If the migraine hits I will be stuck 3 miles from home in wettish clothes incapacitated and possibly vomiting....alone.  I keep saying "Just get home".
7:28
I don't have my phone.  Should I borrow one and call home? I just keep running.  I keep telling myself (I'm saying it out loud now) "Just Get Home".
7:23

I make it home....somehow....running at VERY encouraging tempo pace.  Vision is a mess.  I get in the door and ask husband to get me Coca-Cola, Aleve and water. I sit down, hoping that won't trigger anything.  I chug the coke (the whole thing...weird....they are usually such a special treat....the Mexican ones made with real sugar).  I chase that with 2 Aleve and water.  I wait. Nothing.  I lay down and close my eyes.  "Please no headache. Please no headache."  I try to relax. I'm still breathing hard and heart is pounding from the run. I wait.  I feel a dull headache creeping in. Maybe I caught it soon enough. I rest for 40 minutes. I feel exhausted.  I have a dull headache and feel super tired but I managed to stay ahead of the complete breakdown migraine (which usually ends with vomiting and fetal position in the dark for a few hours).

Once I was able to evaluate, I realized that if I can run through the beginning symptoms of a migraine, in freezing temps, at faster than marathon pace, at the end of weeks and weeks and weeks of hard training.....then I can rock that RocknRoll marathon in 2 weeks.  I hope.

"Just Get Home"

No comments:

Post a Comment