Sunday, December 30, 2012

Running for Bacon in the SNOW

The brothers are in town for a week and little brother is training for the same marathon as me in 3 weeks so we have had some good runs together.

Thursday, December 27
Recorded high was 34 degrees and low was 21. We ran at 10:00am so it was probably 25 degrees or so.  10 mph wind.  And snowing.....the entire time (even though the forecast said it was only a 30% chance).  We ran on the river trail.  There was mud in places. There was 4 inches of snow in others.  What a pace run!!! For 10 miles!!!!
I managed to get sick after all my playing gigs on the 23rd and 24th so I was suffering from a sinus infection for Christmas and still am.  Ich!
Goal 7:38s but I'm really happy keeping them under 7:45s.
1 mile warmup
Then:
7:31
7:31
7:46
7:41
7:38
7:42
7:54
7:49
7:47
7:44
Not bad for having a head cold (do I get bonus points for that on marathon day????) and through the snow on the ground and snow in the air (which was totally cool by the way!).  11+ miles.
That day ended with 15 of us for dinner at my folks' house for standing rib roast, piles of potatoes, veggies, rolls and pumpkin pie.  I had 2 slabs of prime rib (I haven't had red meat for a while but I was so hungry from the run).

Saturday, December 29
Did the mesa run again.  Husband came and so did brother and Sentry (the dog).  Lots of snow, lots of mud, lots of rocks. 15mph wind. High was 32 that day so maybe it was 28 or 30 degrees.  500 feet or so of climb (we averaged 9:44s because of all the snow and hills and the stupid headcold).  8 miles.

Sunday, December 30
Long run across town. 16 miles. 40 degrees.  8:15 pace was the goal.  Ended up averaging 8:25s.  First half is pretty much all uphill with 500 feet of climb....then back down again.  I couldn't breathe very well...my nose is now super chapped from all the cold weather running mixed with the constantly runny nose.  I'm crazy frustrated as this is the last long run and now taper starts....3 weeks to go.  I guess 10 seconds per mile can be credited to the sickness and the uphill but I'm still bummed (especially since my pace run on Thursday was pretty good even though I was sick).  Ah well.  This is how we all feel right before taper starts right?  Like we've had the crap beat out of us a couple of times and what the heck was I thinking when I signed up for this race???????

Husband made us all crepes with blueberries, creme anglaise and bacon for breakfast.  SOOOOOO divine!

I'm ready for taper.

No comments:

Post a Comment