Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Runniversary...Honeymoon is over

Over Spring Break of 2011, I read Born to Run and so did my husband.  We were absolutely convinced that we should be runners....and that we should do something I had sworn millions of times I would never do....run a marathon.

Seven months later, we did it...Rimrock Marathon near Grand Junction, CO....a gorgeous marathon that takes you through the amazing Colorado National Monument.

My Runniversary came and went without me noticing really.  My first run with a marathon in mind was sometime in the beginning of April last year.  I am now 4 1/2 weeks away from marathon #2.  I am in the height of training and I am running faster and further than ever before.  With that comes more mental and physical challenge; more exhaustion; but also more discipline and more inspiration.  I am overwhelmed with the huge amount of progress that I have made.  I am proud of every mile that I have run and know that no matter how much you keep running that all of those miles are still hard in their own way.  I say the honeymoon is over because now that I have one year under my belt, I spend a lot of time comparing, calculating and evaluating my progress and paces.  I enjoy running and know that it has changed me but I am a person that doesn't do anything halfway so I can't help but always work to make progress. If I am going to spend my time doing something, I am going to do it to the best of my ability and do all I can to reach my highest potential.

Today's run was 10 miles with fartleks and it was just plain hard.  Every 8 minutes I had to run 3 minutes at 10k pace.  I managed to average 8:18s.  My 3 minutes of pace was right at 7:15s.  By the end, I was ruined, wrecked, exhausted.  My feet hurt for multiple reasons including  a bruise on the tendons where my shoe ties (no idea where I got it....maybe the dog, maybe yardwork).  When I got home I needed something.....my feet in my cold koi pond in the backyard.  So off I went.  I sat on a rock at the pond's edge and dropped my feet in the cold water.  The koi nibbled at my toes and swam close again and again.  My feet were numb and cold.  The pain was gone.  Tomorrow I will do it again.

Tough Runniversary for me but I know I am hooked on this running thing.

This is after the Rimrock Marathon, November 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment