Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Got Bacon?



On Sunday, the program said: 
Fartlek/Progression Run
4 miles easy
3 miles: 1 minute @ half-marathon pace / 1 minute easy
1 mile easy
2 miles hard
My DH was out with a calf injury for a while and has been slowly coming back over the last month as we are registered to run the Moab Half Marathon this Saturday (3/17).  His plan was to do the above 10 with me as his long run but he wouldn't do the alternating 3 miles of pace and easy...he'd just run easy and I'd run past him and then slow down during my easy and he'd pass me.  It worked well and pace-wise, we ended up having about 30 seconds every 2 minutes to run together.  It went well and I held the goal paces I had planned so I can't complain (although it's completely frutrating that he is so much faster than me after not running very much for the last 2 months).
When we got home, this is what happened:
Yes. It's bacon....thick-cut and so delicious from Natural Grocers.  Don't worry.  We shared with grandma (she is 90 and we had her over for breakfast).  We also had cheese omelets and homemade chocolate chip scones.  I love a good breakfast after a long run!

This weekend is the Moab Half and I feel like I am ready physically but this last few days has been so crazy that mentally I'm kind of a mess.  I am a thinker....lots of mental preparation for races, not for any particular reason....it's just what I have always done.  There is always so much build-up in my mind.  Part of my mind is trying to downplay the entire thing since this race is just a stepping stone towards the full marathon in a few more months but at the same time I definitely want a PR so my mind is in limbo.  Is this a go all-out-as-much-as-you-can-do, or is it a test of marathon pace and fun time?  Well, my husband says "No offense honey but I don't pay money for a race to run next to you."  My current take on that is "I shouldn't pay money to race if I'm not going to race."  I'm a competitor.  In board games, not so much, I just like to play.  But when someone says "ready, set, go" I am in it....to win it (not win but you get my drift).  I suppose I will get that adrenaline rush and go hard.  Next week will feel yucky as I have to stick to the marathon training plan but it is all in good fun and I always look forward to the next big race.

Cheers! and Happy Bacon!

No comments:

Post a Comment