Monday, May 7, 2012

I'm a Stupid Idiot


The past few weeks have been crazy.  Multiple violin performances, the end of the year recital where all 32 of my violin students performed, got new shoes, had a 59 mile week, and then a 62 mile week. I'm so ready for taper.  
Thursday morning I get a call from the Big Band conductor at the local college.  They are having their concert the following night and would like my husband and I to come swing dance as part of their show.  (We are the two-time swing dance champs at the local college's Swing Into Spring fundraiser and the Big Band provides the music so they knew who to call).  So we agreed since dancing to a live band is one of the most fun things EVER!  We chose all "safe" moves to not twist or sprain or stress anything since we just had our highest mileage week ever.  We chose to do a few aerials...but safe ones...all went well until our final move...the Pancake.  I don't have a video of us doing it, but this is what it looks like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whTuWVSF7wM  So, on the landing my patella hit the stage.  As you can see in the video, when the pancake (me) flops back to the ground, it'd be real easy to let the knees drop a little too far.  Essentially my patella dropped from 5-6 feet in the air down to the oak stage.  Ouch.  It hit hard but it's definitely not broken....just bruised and a little sore.  
Well, it felt ok on Saturday so I went ahead with the Easy 4 listed on my program.  Today was 18 @ marathon pace + 20-30 seconds per mile.  Well, I felt painless and great til mile 8, then it started brewing. My left hip started compensating for the right knee pain and then all went to crap. By mile 15 the pace was dropping off.  At mile 16 (I was headed home) I saw a nice set of steps where I chose to stop and cry for a minute.  I was so mad at myself for choosing to dance, then choosing to run...and run hard....and for not being tough enough to endure the pain.  I am stupid.  
So, now it's a little swollen and it hurts. I am not running tomorrow....or again until it's better. I have trained 748 miles so far for this marathon (race is in 2 weeks). I guess this rest is a great way to start a mad taper!  
I am stupid.

No comments:

Post a Comment