Monday, January 20, 2014

Trying the Pfitzinger Plan

After five marathons, I decided to step it up. I used Brad Hudson's Running Faster from the 5k to the Marathon for my first two with great success. Then I used The Hansons Marathon Method for the last 3 and didn't get what I wanted even though I had great training sessions and felt great.  So, after hours and hours of research I am going to try Pfitzinger's Advanced Marathon Method. There are a few plans. I am doing the 18 week 54-70 miles per week plan. Lots of focus on endurance building and many medium and long runs. Hansons had lots of quality runs and pace runs and Pfitzinger has a lot less.  Supposedly the two programs compliment each other very well. If you've done one, it will shock your body doing the other, and hopefully make you faster. First week was last week. 54 miles. Good stuff. Tired legs from quite a few lengthy runs. I feel good though and can see how these "medium/long runs" holding prescribed paces based on my marathon goal pace work to build fitness, endurance, mental focus and strength. There are 2-4 of these each week ranging from 9-20 miles. These are basically progressive runs starting at 20% above MP and ending the last few miles at 10% above MP.  Colfax Marathon in Denver has some good hills so I'm doing a lot of hills on these runs.  I am going to try to run flat on the two 5-mile recovery runs each week to give myself the best rest. This is opposite of what I used to do (which seems ridiculous in my brain now). I always did my tempo runs on flat courses to be as consistent as possible and would do recovery on hills since pace didn't matter and to work different muscles.  I am just trying to change everything up this time around to try and get the results I want.
Anyone ever tried Pfitzinger? I'd love to hear what you thought of it if you have.
Happy Running Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment